We are one of the UK's leading property services companies with expertise in the social housing, education and commercial sectors. Ian Williams has an exciting opportunity for an Apprentice Painter & Decorator to join our team in September 2019 in Liverpool.
We don’t want to hammer our point home but we think our apprenticeship programme is one of the best! You will attend college at least one day a week to study your chosen trade, whilst gaining practical experience working on our customer sites with our expert tradespeople who will help plumb any gaps in your knowledge.
Reliable, punctual and able to work in all weathers, you must live locally and be able to get to site. You will need GCSEs/GCSE equivalents in English and Maths, with grades C/4 and above being desirable.
We are looking for people who are enthusiastic and committed, with good practical and coordination skills and with an interest in their chosen trade. Being a team player whilst being able to work independently is also important, as is being willing to learn, a ‘can do’ attitude and strong communication skills.
We offer a structured apprenticeship programme, a very competitive salary and the opportunity to work on a variety of different sites whilst working towards your Level 2 qualification. There is also the potential to work towards your Level 3 qualification. We are looking for apprentices who will in time progress through the company, and support our business plan to build a pipeline of talent.
As an Apprentice Painter and Decorator you will attend college, as well as work on site. This will include:
- We will teach you how to paint – not like Banksy – but by using a brush and roller.
- We will show you how to make a house a home, achieving uniform finishing by stopping runs and snagging.
- We will expose you to different sites, from private schools/Duchy buildings to homes which desperately need a lick of paint, to build your experience.
- We will help you brush up your skills, so you can enter national painting competitions and become the best painter it is possible to be.
How do I apply?
Now you’ve decided an apprenticeship is for you, how do you apply for one with Ian Williams?
Click on the link at the bottom of the page and attach your CV AND a cover letter to apply successfully. You can attach both documents by clicking on ‘browse’ and once you have uploaded one document you can upload another. If you prefer, you can copy and paste your cover letter into the ‘supporting statement’ box. If you choose to attach both documents you will have to type the letter ‘X’ into the supporting statement box or it won’t let you submit your application!
Once we receive your CV AND cover letter, we will review your application and score against the below ten points. The more evidence you can provide against these points, the higher your score and the more likely you are to be interviewed!
Please read the ten points carefully. There is one point for:
- Giving us your full contact details including your name, home address, email address and phone number (preferably mobile). You must give all of these contact details to get the point.
- Attaching a cover letter. The next 4 points relate to what you write in your cover letter.
- Telling us in your cover letter why you have applied for an Ian Williams apprenticeship.
- Telling us in your cover letter why you are applying for your chosen trade apprenticeship (painting, electrics etc).
- Telling us in your cover letter what you think an apprenticeship involves.
- Telling us in your cover letter what you think makes a good applicant for an Ian Williams apprenticeship.
- Attaching a CV. The next 3 points relate to what you write in your CV.
- Telling us in your CV your grades or predicted grades for your GCSEs or equivalents. Listing all your subjects with no grades will not score the point.
- Telling us in your CV if you achieved a grade 4 or above in Maths and English.
- Telling us in your CV if you take part in any sociable hobbies or competitive sports. Examples where you would score a point (but are not limited to) include:
- Playing for a football/rugby/hockey team
- Singing in a choir/song group
To apply for the Ian Williams apprenticeship scheme, click here or go to our website and check out our current Apprentice vacancies.
Applications close at midnight on Sunday 28th April 2019. Good luck!
We reserve the right to shortlist before the closing date.
Due to the large number of applicants we cannot contact unsuccessful candidates. Therefore, if you have not heard from us by the middle of June 2019, please assume you will not be invited into interview.
We reserve the right to shortlist prior to the closing date based on application volumes.
Ian Williams Ltd will use applicants details for recruitment purposes only. For more information please read our Candidate Privacy Notice located at https://www.ianwilliams.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Candidate-Privacy-Notice.pdf
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer, therefore applications are welcome from all.
No agencies please, if CV’s are sent from agencies, we will work with those candidates directly if you are not on our agreed PSL.