The Ian Williams painting team have recently completed external redecoration works on Southampton’s historic St Edmund’s Church, along with its surrounding community buildings. The Grade II listed building was built in 1889 with a maritime heritage and is the oldest Catholic Church in Southampton.
Commissioned by the Portsmouth Diocese in March 2016, the works include render repairs and external redecoration to the church building, terraced houses and church hall to the value of £33,500. The team, headed up by Gerald Norman and Dave Stroud, did such an outstanding job that the contract was then extended to decorating ‘The Lodge’ – the church office adjacent to the church. Although this work carried a value of around £15,000, the work was carried out free of charge as a donation to the church and local community.
The overall programme of works took three months to complete, with a further two weeks to complete the decoration of the Lodge.
Monsignor Canon Vincent Harvey commented: “High praise indeed for the team involved in this project and the painting works they carried out. We look forward to working closely again with Ian Williams on future projects in the area.”